Quick recipe, quick post! 5 Ingredient dinners are the best, aren’t they? You can’t beat this easy chorizo stuffed zucchini.
I got my first taste of North Carolina zucchini and summer squash this week! So excited to start cooking with these lovely veggies again. Remind me of this at the end of the summer when I never want to see a zucchini again. This first batch of squash were mainly small babies but I managed to find a few medium sized zucchinis that I could cut in half, scoop out the flesh, and stuff with a yummy mixture of chorizo, rice, and tomatoes.
I am a big fan of five ingredient meals. The quicker, the better – especially this time of year! Scooping put the flesh from the zucchinis was the most labor intensive part of this recipe but even that didn’t take too long. I love chorizo and I can get excellent freshly ground chorizo from a couple of local farmers but, if you or your kids don’t love the spice of chorizo, substitute Italian sausage into this recipe and it will still be delicious.
Quick tip … We cook A LOT of rice around here. If you can double up on rice cooking and set some aside, leftover rice works great with this recipe and saves you some time!
We served our stuffed zucchini with freshly sliced tomatoes and mango. Enjoy!
Chorizo Stuffed Zucchini (5 Ingredients!)
- 4 to 5 medium sized zucchini
- 1 pound chorizo , cooked
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 cup rice (prepared)
- Breadcrumbs (I used Ian's Gluten-free Panko)
- Cut 4 to 5 zucchinis in half lengthwise and scoop out the inside using a spoon. (A serrated spoon will work great at this task!)
- Cook chorizo and drain. (Crumbled Italian sausage would be a great substitute for chorizo.)
- Cook 1 cup of rice and set aside or use leftover rice - about 2 cups.
- Combine chorizo, rice, and diced tomatoes. Stir together.
- Arrange zucchini boats in the bottom of a 9 x 12 (or similar) casserole.
- Fill with chorizo, rice and tomato mixture. It's ok if it spills over the sides of the zucchini.
- Top with seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Cook at 350 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes.