My older son developed a love for calzones recently and my gluten-free girls were feeling left out. What’s a mama to do? The three of us were on a mission to make our own gluten-free calzones… and we succeeded!
This recipe is almost too easy to believe. We bought a ball of gluten-free pizza dough in the freezer section of our Whole Foods, let it thaw on the counter, and then split it into two equal balls. We sauteed mushrooms and kale in olive oil with some salt for our filling and pulled some marinara sauce from the cupboard. We were ready to go!
One girl loves cheese, the other was happy with a cheese free calzone. The beauty of a gluten-free calzone (or any calzone!) is that you can put anything inside that suits your fancy. A calzone is basically a pizza with the pizza toppings on the inside. Genius.
You can, of course, make your own pizza dough! However, I will not judge you if you just buy some at the store. With premade dough, this becomes a meal that takes about ten minutes to put together. A perfect weeknight option!
Hope you love this as much as we do! What do you put in your calzones?
Gluten-Free Pizza Dough Calzones
- 1 ball of gluten-free pizza dough
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 handful of mushrooms
- 2 round slices of onion , chopped
- 1 small bunch of kale or spinach , chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- olive oil , for cooking
- salt and pepper
- Egg , optional (for egg wash)
- Let pizza dough thaw on the counter. Split the dough ball in half and let it sit.
- Saute the mushrooms, onions, and spinach or kale in olive oil. Add salt to taste.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough. You might want to stretch it with your fingers a bit as well.
- In the center of your circle, add half of the cooked spinach and mushrooms.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of marinara sauce and half the cheese.
- Gently lift the dough and fold it in half over your ingredients. Seal the edges with your fingers by crimping the sides together.
- Repeat for second dough ball.
- If you wish, beat one egg and brush the egg on the outside of your calzones before baking.
- Cook on a baking sheet at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with additional marinara sauce for dipping.