I think that I could eat butternut squash every single day. No lie. Thankfully, my kids love it, too. For years and years, I have only prepared butternut squash one way – steamed and mashed with a little bit of butter and brown sugar mixed in. Done. The only tricky part about steaming butternut squash is prepping it – it’s kind of a pain in the butt to peel and chop it – especially when you are trying to peel and chop enough for our whole gang.
One night, on a whim, I simply cut the tops off the butternut squash and then carefully cut the squash in half right down the middle. I drizzled some olive oil over the orange flesh and threw them in the oven on a cookie sheet with my fingers crossed. I clearly missed the SQUASH ROASTING 101 Lesson earlier in life. It was SO EASY. It kind of felt like I cheated.
The squash was roasty delicious. All I needed to do was scoop out the insides and it was ready to eat. It got me to thinking that the only thing better than super easy roasted butternut squash would be an entire meal cooked in a super easy roasted butternut squash.
Keeping it super simple – I decided to start with just adding quinoa and chorizo. While my squash was roasting, I cooked up 1 cup of quinoa (just added salt and water) and scrambled about 1 pound of chorizo sausage removed from its casings. After the squash finished roasting, I combined the chorizo, the quinoa, and about 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese. I scooped the chorizo and quinoa back into the squash and let the extras fall on the pan. I sprinkled a little bit more cheese on top and popped the pan back into the oven for another ten minutes. That’s it. So easy! I served the big kids their own squash on a plate – let me tell you that letting them eat their dinner right out of the squash incited a few cheers of glee. Who knew? Less mess for me, more fun for them.
I know a lot of people are trying to eat more quinoa and butternut squash are abundant this time of year! This is an excellent way to experiment… I hope you enjoy it!
Quinoa and Chorizo Stuffed Squash
- 2 to 3 butternut squash , halved, seeds scooped out
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked - makes 2 cups)
- 1 lb chorizo , crumbled and cooked
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Cut each butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Lay flesh side up on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil.
- Cook at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until flesh pierces easily with a fork.
- Remove from oven.
- Combine cooked chorizo and cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese.
- Fill the roasted butternut squash "bowls" with quinoa and chorizo. Top with a little bit more parmesan cheese.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve your squash as is!