This dairy-free thing can be a lot of work when it comes to desserts but I made this amazing dairy-free white frosting for a layered coconut cake for Easter dessert and I just could not wait to share the recipe – so here it is – short and sweet.
The biggest secret to making this dairy-free white frosting recipe taste absolutely amazing is using coconut water. My dairy-free daughter loves coconut water so I have started keeping them in the house for her as a treat. You will only need a couple of tablespoons to make this frosting recipe so any individual sized bottle will do. I used Zico Coconut Water because we had it in the house.
Don’t let the use of shortening weird you out. Spectrum makes an amazing vegan organic shortening and I have used it for years when I need shortening. One tub lasts me an entire year – don’t get nervous. This recipe only needs one cup.
The rest of the white frosting recipe is just like any other white frosting recipe – bring on the powdered sugar. Lots of it. I filled the layers of the coconut cake with a dairy-free creamy coconut custard (recipe coming!) so I only used the white frosting to cover the exterior of the cake. If you are frosting inside and outside the cake, you might want to consider doubling the recipe.
My last tip … I make my own vanilla extract and I was worried it might be a little too dark for this frosting but I only needed about a teaspoon and a half and once the frosting was mixing, it didn’t change the tint at all. Don’t waste the effort searching out clear vanilla extract. You won’t need it for this.
Amazing Dairy-Free White Frosting
- 1 cup shortening (packed)
- 4 cups powdered sugar (also called confectioner's sugar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut water
- In a stand mixer, combine shortening and powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
- Add vanilla and 2 tablespoons of coconut water. Mix again on a low to medium speed until it looks like frosting.
- If you want a smoother consistency, add a little more coconut water. If the frosting looks too loose, add more powdered sugar.