The other weekend, our family was invited to a gumbo party. Sunday football, kids in the backyard, gumbo on the stove – truly a fantastic afternoon. Whenever I am invited to a party, I obviously want to thank my hosts by bringing a tasty treat to share with the group but, honestly, I also want to bring something gluten-free so that I know that there is at least one food item my girls and I will be able to eat.
What could be more perfect at a gumbo party than cornbread? And, of course, cornbread made with bacon is hard to resist. This cornbread is super easy to make and absolutely delicious. I removed most of the seeds from the jalapenos so it was kid-friendly and not too spicy. You can cook this cornbread in an 8×8 square pan but I prefer to make my cornbread in mini muffin tins or in my cast iron cornbread pan. Adding a little bit of coarse sea salt and additional shredded cheese on top of the batter before you pop the muffins into the oven is an essential step! Don’t skip it!
Bacon and Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- 3 slices bacon , chopped
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 jalapenos , seeds removed, chopped
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 - 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used organic canola)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese plus more for sprinkling on top
- Over medium heat, cook the bacon, onions, and jalapenos. After the bacon is well cooked, remove everything to a paper towel to absorb the excess bacon grease.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and honey.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Add the bacon, onion, and jalapeno and the shredded cheddar cheese. Mix until ingredients are combined.
- Spray two mini muffin tins. Fill mini muffin tins about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with additional shredded cheddar cheese and coarse sea salt. Cook at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.