During this time of year, fresh local produce can be hard to come by – except for dark leafy greens like Swiss chard, kale and collards. We tend to have a lot of these veggies in our crisper and I like to find ways to sneak them into everything. Like these baked meatballs with swiss chard. YUM. Scroll to the bottom for even more amazing meatball recipes for your #SundaySupper.
I love meatballs. Meatballs are a great party food, a great family dinner option, and they’re even delicious as leftovers. I probably never make two sets of meatballs exactly the same but I do use similar ingredients every time. First, I love to use two kinds of meat. Beef and ground pork, lamb and beef, turkey and chorizo … you get the idea. I find that if I use a flavorful pork sausage – like a chorizo or Italian sausage, it really transforms the meatballs and adds so much flavor.
After combining two kinds of meat, I always add gluten-free panko or a similar breadcrumb or even dry stuffing mix. My dad’s go-to secret ingredient was always Pepperidge Farm Stuffing. DELISH. Worcestershire sauce, barbeque sauce, ketchup, or hot sauce can add some moisture and flavor to your meatballs. Don’t use all of them at once – pick one or two. I always add an egg! If you forget the egg, your meatballs will be dry and fall apart. In my experience, you can never over season your meatballs. Even after they are rolled and on my cookie sheet, I even add a little extra coarse sea salt and fresh ground pepper to the tops of them for a little extra kick.
I used to hesitate to make meatballs because I incorrectly thought that I needed to cook them up in a frying pan. Silly me! Baked meatballs are the best! If you line a cookie pan with foil, your clean up is minimal. No grease splatter all over your cooktop, no crusty pans to clean. Pinch me.
Baked Meatballs With Swiss Chard #SundaySupper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork sausage (chorizo, Italian sausage)
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 1/3 c breadcrumbs
- 3 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c barbecue sauce or ketchup
- 1 egg
- Salt , pepper, and other seasonings
- 2 to 3 large leaves of swiss chard or kale
Combine ground beef and ground pork in a large bowl.
Add garlic, onion, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, and the egg.
Removing the rib of the chard or kale, cut the greens into thin ribbons and then cut in half again.
Add the chopped chard to the bowl.
Using your hands, combine all the ingredients together.
Line 2 cookie pans with foil.
Roll meat mixture into balls. Evenly space on a cookie sheet.
Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
Cook at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.
Need more meatball ideas??? Keep reading to find more recipes from the Sunday Supper crew!
- Bacon Wrapped Meatballs with Maple Balsamic Sauce from The Crumby Cupcake
- Cheesy Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Meatballs from The Weekend Gourmet
- Crab Cake Mini Meatballs with Tartar Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Garlicky Shrimp Meatballs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Greek Turkey Meatballs from Simple and Savory
- Grilled Korean Meatballs from Palatable Pastime
- Saucy Thai Meatballs from Brunch-n-Bites
- Slow Cooker Turkey Appetizer Jelly Meatballs from Noshing With The Nolands
- Stuffed Meatballs from The Freshman Cook
- Tofu Nuggets from NinjaBaker
- Turkey Meatballs in Orange Sauce from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Turkey Meatballs with Marina Sauce from Our Good Life
- Albondigas from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Meatball Soup with Orzo from Get the Good Stuff
- Russian Meatball Soup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Main Dish Meatballs:
- All-Purpose Meatballs from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bourbon Baked Bean Meatballs from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Italian Meatball Sandwich from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Casserole from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Deep Dish Skillet Meatball Pizza from From Gate to Plate
- General Tso’s Chicken Meatballs from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Gluten-free Meatballs with Homemade Arrabiata Sauce from And She Cooks
- Grandma’s Italian Meatball Subs from Family Around The Table
- Ham Balls from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Irish Meatballs from Monica’s Table
- Kefta Mkaouara (Spicy Moroccan Meatballs and Eggs) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Keftedakia (Greek-style Meatballs) from Tramplingrose
- Kofte-Style Lamb Meatballs in a Tomato-Pepper Sauce from Caroline’s Cooking
- Meatball Subs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Moroccan Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce from MyGourmetConnection
- Orecchiette and Meatball Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Persian Lamb Meatballs from Food Lust People Love
- Portuguese Meatballs from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Meatballs from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Saucy Hoisin Chicken Meatballs from Hardly a Goddess
- Slow Cooker Ranch Meatballs Stroganoff from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Spanish Meatballs from The Chef Next Door
- Sriracha Sesame Turkey Meatballs from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sun Dried Tomato & Feta Chicken Meatballs over Lemon-Spinach Orzo From Simply Healthy Family
- Swedish Meatballs from Feeding Big and More
- Swedish Meatballs with Zucchini Ribbons from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Sweet & Sour Freezer to Slow-Cooker Meatballs from Wholistic Woman
- Tajine-el-Khoukh (Algerian Stuffed Peaches) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Thai Meatball Lettuce Wraps from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Thai Spaghetti and Meatballs from Kitchen Gidget
- Thai Red Curry Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce from kimchi MOM
- Ultimate Pasta & Meatballs from MealDiva
- Brownie Meatballs with Frosting Spaghetti from Pies and Plots
Plus Buffalo Chicken Meatballs and More Amazing Meatball Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
30 thoughts on “Baked Meatballs With Swiss Chard”
I love the idea of sneaking more veggies in these. I also love the idea of using stuffing mix as a binder–I’ve got some leftover from Thanksgiving that I need to do something with! Meatballs to the rescue! 🙂
Thanks, Rachel!! It’s such a neat “cheat” 🙂
These look so crispy and yummy from being baked!!
Thanks, Tara! They get nice and crispy on the outside but the inside says so moist from the egg, sauce, and greens!
Grrrreat tips! Love the addition of Kale…and am tempted to use Pepperidge Farm.
My dad swears by the herbed stuffing in the blue bag! Go for it! 🙂 He uses it in meatloaf, meatballs, and BURGERS!! Ridiculous in burgers.
I love the added bonus of greens in your meatballs! So yummy!
Thanks, Liz! I started doing it years ago and no one has ever complained! 🙂
Swiss chard is such a lovely ingredient must be really nice on meatballs thanks for sharing
Thanks, Adriana! It’s hard to believe just how pretty rainbow chard is! Nature is amazing!
I love swiss chard! What a fantastic idea!
Thanks, Rebecca!! We are huge chard fans here!
I love swiss chard and sneak it into foods all the time. Have never tried it in meatballs but I will now. Thanks for the tip.
Thanks, Wendy! Give it a try! I think you will love it!
I don’t see swiss chard used enough. Love that you included it in your meatballs. What a fantastic idea.
Thanks, Christie! I think we eat chard twice a week! LOVE it. Lucky to have it growing near us in the winter. 🙂
Yay for chard in your meatballs! I put chard in mine, too, and I bake mine as well. You have this one covered!
Thanks, Dorothy! Love that you do this, too! Simple and delish.
My kids LOVE meatballs, this looks like a great way to get some veggies into them!
Thanks, Sara! My kids love them, too!
Delicious and creative meatball recipe! Great use of swiss chard!
I always bake my meatballs!
Love the sneaky veggies. I’m definitely going to have to do that now that I know my toddler will eat meatballs!
I started doing this when my twins became meatball and meatloaf fiends years ago! Such a great way to use these veggies.
I never thought to make meatballs with chard. Sounds great!
Thanks, Sue! They are great with any greens!
This is absolutely delicious and so easy to make. Fantastic meatballs! This is going to be a repeat dish in my home!
Thanks so much, Polly! This is one of our faves!
It’s so tasty! Just made this meatballs! I Had to make a last minute dish for a party… this was so tasty!
Thanks so much, Nataly!! We LOVE these meatballs! Perfect for winter veggies this time of year.