Zoodles are approaching epic status in my house and I couldn’t be happier about it. Even though we eat gluten-free over here, my kids and I still crave pasta with sauce on a regular basis. There are decent gluten-free pastas out there but it’s nice to change things up a bit every once in a while… These zucchini zoodles with blistered cherry tomatoes are really the bomb.
If you have not seen zoodles yet, the concept is pretty simple. Get yourself a veggie spiralizer and twist veggies through the two blades. Carrots, potatoes, zucchini … twist, twist, twist. Out comes ribbons of veggie noodles! It’s kind of amazing and super simple.
I looked around online for some reviews on veggie spiralizers and came across one from Bluelife that had a lot of positive reviews on Amazon. Clearly this is a trendy item because there seem to be dozens of them listed! We have used our spiralizer mainly for zucchini but the kids also love to twist a carrot through the blades just for fun. What’s better than a fresh carrot? A twisty, ribbony carrot! (This is the veggie spiralizer I used for this recipe.)
When you make zucchini noodles, I recommend you toss them gently with some type of warm sauce – spaghetti sauce out of a jar, homemade pesto, butter and garlic … Anything. You don’t need to warm the noodles up for very long but the flavor is improved when the zucchini is heated up a bit.
For this recipe, I had a pint of cherry tomatoes that had ventured past their prime… I chopped up some onion and garlic, sauteed those in olive oil and then added the cherry tomatoes. If you’ve never cooked cherry tomatoes on the stovetop until they POP, you are missing out.
This is a recipe that’s not really a recipe… toss some onion, garlic, and cherry tomatoes into a pan. Cook. Toss your zoodles into the cherry tomatoes after they have all popped. Serve alone or, like we did in the photo above, serve over your favorite gnocchi. So good!
Blistered Cherry Tomatoes and Zucchini Zoodles
- 1 to 2 zucchinis , washed and unpeeled
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 small onion , thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 T. olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Using your veggie spiralizer, twist your zucchini through the spiralizer to make your zoodle ribbons.
- In a large pan, add olive oil, garlic, and onion and saute for about five minutes.
- Add cherry tomatoes and some salt. Stir well. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes over medium to medium high heat.
- As the cherry tomatoes cook, they will pop. Continue stirring. Season to taste.
- Add zucchini zoodles to the blistered cherry tomatoes. Gently stir so that the zoodles are covered with the cherry tomato sauce and heat through for about 3 to 4 minutes. Enjoy!