Are you looking for a super-quick after school snack or even a side dish for dinner? These crispy baked zucchini fries are easy, delicious, and a hit with parents and kids. I promise. Around this time of year, if you are eating local, seasonal veggies, you are probably scrambling for new things to do with your zucchini… Try this.
One cookie sheet will be enough space for one large zucchini cut up into fries. If you have more than a couple of kids, I
Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries
- 1 large zucchini , peeled
- 1 egg , beaten
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (or just salt and pepper)
- 1/2 cup shredded Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar
- Peel the zucchini, cut it in half (in the middle) and then cut each half into about 8 to 10 sticks - 2 to 3 inches long.
- Spread foil on a cookie tray and spray with non-stick spray.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, Cabot cheddar cheese, and Creole seasoning in one bowl.
- Dip the zucchini in the egg and then dredge the zucchini in the cornmeal combination. Place on the cookie sheet.
- Repeat until all of your zucchini fries are coated with cornmeal and cheddar.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.
recommend you cut up two zucchinis and use two cookie sheets or just cook your fries closer together on one large sheet. We didn’t dip our fries in anything but I bet these would taste delicious with some blue cheese or ranch dressing.
For our first batch of zucchini fries, I just tossed the zucchini in seasoned cornmeal and Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese after dipping them in some beaten egg. I think the straight cornmeal and cheese combo was a little bit too granular so, for our second tray of fries, we added in a little bit of all-purpose gluten-free flour.
Most of us preferred the texture of the cornmeal, flour, cheddar cheese combo better! We used gluten-free flour but you can use something like Bisquik or any all-purpose flour you have on hand.
These crispy, baked zucchini fries take about 10 minutes to prep and only 15 minutes in the oven … Enjoy!