Sometimes, it’s Friday night and you have an awesome dinner plan that includes chicken tikka masala and a spiced basmati rice… AND THEN your husband reminds you that it’s Lent. No meat, sister. Plan B? Ask the kids for ideas. Waffles? Why not? Chocolate waffles? Even better. Chocolate chocolate chip waffles? Yes, ma’am!!
These chocolate chocolate chip waffles were ridiculously good. I don’t necessarily recommend you eat them for dinner, but I won’t judge if you do. Chocolate waffles would be amazing, of course, for breakfast or even dessert topped with fresh fruit or ice cream.
Stop the madness. Let me get to recipe … You need to make these very soon. Our first batch didn’t have enough sugar or milk but they were still pretty awesome. We upped our milk and our sugar and I think we achieved chocolate chocolate chip waffle perfection. If you like your waffles a little on the sweeter side, you might want a bit more sugar. The batter will be thick – you can thin it out a little bit more with a bit more milk. An extra splash or two should be fine but not much more than that.
How often do you have breakfast for dinner? Tell me I’m not alone!! 🙂
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Waffles (Gluten-free!)
- 2 c . flour (gluten-free - we used cup4cup)
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 c cocoa powder (we used Ghirardelli's)
- 1/2 c sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/3 c butter , melted (or olive oil)
- 1 c mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients including cocoa powder and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla extract and melted butter.
- Add egg and milk mixture to dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Add mini chocolate chips. Stir.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Ladle batter into waffle maker. Cook until steam stops coming from the sides and waffles are easily removed.