I had a little ladies’ Christmas brunch at my house the other morning to get some of my favorite moms together before all of our kids started winter break. I wanted it to be casual and fun and not a lot of work for me! Is that bad to say?? I was planning on making a couple of quiches but I quickly remembered my last attempt at making quiche for a party … crumbly gluten-free crust. Ugh. I didn’t want to risk that again so I decided to go crustless and make these super cute muffin cup mini quiche things.
No crust, gluten-free, lots of flavor, portable. You don’t even need a fork. In fact, a fork will just get in your way.
I made these yummy little muffin cup mini quiches the night before the party and they were ready to go at room temperature the next morning. This recipe, like all quiche recipes, is very bendable to your likes and dislikes. I love greens and mushrooms in my quiche and I happened to have a bag of freshly picked mixed kale in my fridge. You don’t need greens although I do think they add a nice bit of color and taste to these mini quiches. I also LOVE bacon. But, if you’re serving a vegetarian crowd, just leave the bacon crumbles off the top.
I made two separate pans of quiches – the first pan only used 1/4 cup of milk and I didn’t quite make it to fill all 12 muffin tins. I used 1/2 cup of milk for the second pan and the difference in taste was negligible but I did manage to fill all 12 muffin tins halfway with custard. I also used a little bit more cheese in my second version because I had a little helper shredding! Both pans of muffin cup mini quiche tasted essentially the same. The second version took just a bit longer to cook.
The recipe for these muffin cup mini quiches takes about 10 minutes of action on the cutting board and stovetop and then about 25 minutes in the oven. They come together really fast! These might enter my morning breakfast rotation… the kids loved them, too, and I even had a few left over from the party to hand over at the bus stop in the morning.
I am hoping that you are all having many fun holiday parties with friends and family. If you need to bring a dish … try this!
Muffin Cup Mini Quiches
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese (I used a local buttermilk cheese)
- 1/2 small onion , diced
- 8 oz mushrooms , chopped
- 2 handfuls of kale , cut in ribbons, no stems
- 4 slices of bacon , chopped
- In a large pan, cook bacon. Remove bacon and let cool.
- In the same pan, saute onion and mushrooms. Add chopped kale. Season with a little bit of salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl (preferably one that you can pour from), whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and milk. Add cheese.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Pour custard into muffin tins almost halfway.Add the kale and mushrooms. Top with bacon.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.