Although everyone in my house does not have to eat gluten-free, it sure makes meal time a lot easier when I am able to cook one delicious main course that is, coincidentally, gluten free. I have found that when I use gluten free pastas in lasagnas, baked ziti, and those types of casseroles, no one can ever guess that I have replaced wheat pasta with gluten free pasta. For this recipe, I used a corn based pasta in the shape of elbows.
I had a few extra zucchini in my crisper that had to be used, but any veggie would probably work well – yellow squash, chopped spinach, eggplant, etc.
Pasta – any small type – cooked
1 lb. crumbled sausage, cooked
1 large jar spaghetti sauce
2 cups (or so) sliced zucchini
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1. Prepare pasta. Set aside.
2. Cook sausage (drain, if necessary). Add spaghetti sauce, zucchini, and pasta. Combine.
3. Add shredded cheese. Stir to combine. Pour into large 9 x 13 baking casserole.
4. Cook at 350 for 45 minutes covered with aluminum foil.
5. Remove foil, sprinkle with a little extra cheese, if you wish, and cook for another 15 minutes uncovered.
|Cook for about an hour|
ENJOY!! This was a big hit! This is easy to make ahead – a day or just a couple of hours. Once again, I used my magic oven feature… programmed my oven to cook while we were at soccer practice and came home to dinner ready to be served!