Greetings from Massachusetts! Since I am hanging out with my family for the summer, I need to indulge in all the local seafood I can get my hands on! This crispy baked haddock was one of my favorite meals as a child so I was thrilled when my father suggested we make it the other night. It’s even easy to turn crispy oven-baked haddock into gluten-free crispy oven-baked haddock. Swap out the Ritz crackers for Glutino gluten-free crackers and done.
My dad religiously served fish every Friday when I was growing up and, I have to admit, I sometimes grumbled about it! Now that I no longer live within sight of the ocean for most of the year, I need to get my fill of seafood while I visit my parents every summer and you will never, ever, hear me complaining that my dad is serving us too much fish.
This easy recipe was a childhood staple. My dad’s traditional way of cooking this was to lightly salt and pepper 1 or 2 lbs of haddock, crumble ritz crackers evenly over the top, and then pour over melted butter. Bake. So easy! Something that can easily be thrown together at the last minute, after work, or at the end of an arduous day at the beach …
Making this meal gluten-free required just one simple substitution. These days, I am not eating ritz crackers but there are a lot of great gluten-free cracker options on the market. For this tasty dinner, I just used vegetable crackers from Glutino to crumble on top. They had a lot of great flavors, and crisped up really nicely as the fish baked in the oven.
Crispy Baked Haddock
This crispy baked haddock is one of my childhood favorites!
- 2 lbs fresh haddock or similar white fish - cod would work well
- Salt and pepper
- 2 dozen crackers crumbled, I use Glutino crackers
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Lay the fish, skin side down, in the pan. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Evenly spread crumbled crackers over the top and then pour the melted butter over everything.
- Cook in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes. The fish will be nice and flaky and the top should be crispy. Serve with your favorite steamed veggies. Enjoy!